Political and social awareness is the integral motivation of my work. Learning about and understanding belief systems and how they coexist within cultural norms are my constant themes. I contemplate the world and its people’s struggle for cultural, sexual and religious identity. Besides analyzing current issues, I also delve into historical contexts of unresolved, unforgiven upheavals in societies.
I use pictorial imagery of various cultures, throughout history, by utilizing myths, religious and secular symbols in my work. The images are not literal, but symbolic expressions of prevailing ideas and thoughts about current issues in the world.
Looking through the window of history and comparing current social issues with the past, I strive to provoke thoughtful consideration and awareness of diverse cultures in the world today.
Media includes photography, work on canvas, work on paper, sculpture, print making and ceramics.
The University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minnesota: M.F.A.
The College of St. Catherine, St. Paul, Minnesota: B.A.
Additional study in Paris, France; Nara, Japan; Athens, Greece
- Japan Fulbright Memorial Fund: Tokyo and Himeji, Japan
- Greek Fellow: EXL Program, Brandeis, Harvard Universities, Boston, MA, Athens, Ithaca, Delphi, Olympia, Greece
- The Robert Rauschenberg Foundation POWER OF ART National Award
- Ernest and Cecil Holzinger Memorial Award in Photography, New York
- Ruth Halvorsen NAEA Award, Yosemite California
- National Art Education Association Research Delegate to Cuba
- National Art Education Association Research Delegate to India
- The National Gallery of Art Summer Educators’ Residency, Washington, DC
- Minnesota History Center, Artist-in- Residence, Master Teacher
- Minnesota Art Educator of the Year
- National Association of Women Artists
- Women’s Art Registry of Minnesota
- Ming Chiao Chapter of the American Sumi-e Society
- North East Minneapolis Artists Association
- National Art Education Association
- Art educator: Elementary, Middle School, High School and College levels
- Master Teacher: Minnesota History Center, Minnesota Museum of Art
- Curator: WARM GUERILLAS, FEMINIST VISIONS Exhibition
- ART JUROR and JUDGE: MHS League, Scholastic Art Awards